A driver who has never exceeded the posted speed limit is a rare thing. Most everyone has pressed on the accelerator when running late for work, having too many errands or trying to get home after a long, tiring day. Unfortunately, speed is often a critical factor in many accidents, and it can be a deciding factor in whether an accident results in fatalities.
More than 26% of fatal traffic accidents involve a driver who was speeding. This does not always mean the driver is going faster than the posted limit, but it does mean the traffic, weather or road conditions are not safe for the speed the driver was going. If you have recently suffered injuries or lost a loved one in an accident, there is a good chance speed was a factor.
The risks of speed
When another driver intentionally ignores the speed limit, he or she places you and your loved ones in danger. In some cases, a driver may drive faster because of some pressing deadline, but in many cases, speeding drivers simply believe the laws do not apply to them. They may feel isolated and invincible in their vehicles, or they have little concern for the potential consequences of their actions, including the following:
- Driving too fast increases the chances that the driver will be unable to control the vehicle.
- Speeding means the vehicle will need more time and distance to stop when the driver notices danger ahead.
- An accident involving a speeding driver typically results in more expensive damage to your vehicle.
- When a speeding vehicle crashes into your vehicle, your protection equipment and safety devices will be less effective.
- Accidents that involve speed typically result in far more serious injuries and even death.
In a single recent year, 9,378 people died in accidents related to speeding. Countless others suffered catastrophic and life-changing injuries. If you or your family members are among those statistics, you may have overwhelming burdens to bear as a result. Perhaps you have the sorrow of having lost a loved one, the struggle of readjusting your life with your injuries and the mounting medical bills related to your accident.
Many New York residents share your struggles, and some have found that reaching out to a compassionate and dedicated attorney offers some consolation. By taking legal steps to obtain the compensation you deserve, you may gain peace of mind as well as financial assistance.