UFC giant Conor McGregor is known for his rowdy, often rambunctious disposition. Traditional boxing fans throughout the world have come to know more about this man since his $30 million-guaranteed fight against boxing great Floyd Mayweather, Jr. From this point forward, he may also be known as the superstar fighter who got arrested on felony charges for supposedly inciting a brawl with other fighters in New York.
Police arrested McGregor following a backstage riot he allegedly started at a UFC event. The situation resulted in charges of felony criminal mischief, assault and reckless endangerment. He was released from custody on a $50,000 bond.
McGregor is accused of throwing a hand truck at a group of fighters on a bus. There is said to be video evidence of the incident. Close sources say he was particularly upset with one of the fighters who had been involved in an altercation with one of his best fighting buddies. Some accused the UFC of staging this whole situation as a publicity state, an accusation that its president flatly denied.
Authorities say two fighters suffered injuries because of what McGregor did. The president of UFC told reporters it is definitely not the first time there have been misunderstandings, arguments or even physical altercations between fighters outside the arena. In fact, he said is not uncommon at all. Every person who faces felony charges in New York is guaranteed the right to present as strong a defense as possible to try to avoid conviction, and for most defendants, that typically means securing savvy legal representation.
Source: stl.news, “McGregor’s UFC future in doubt in wake of felony charges”, Dave Myers, April 6, 2018